Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Start by telling us about yourself, your family history, your genealogy interests, and the current focus of your genealogy research.

Views: 17483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You could try FamilySearch.org . It's run by the LDS Church (Mormon), but you can create a tree for free. I finally got over to the Family Research Library in my town, and that's one of the things they were all set to have me to, first. From there you should get little icons on the person they've found a record for. Also, you can do a search that includes their own site, Ancestry.com, Rootsweb and one more, I think. And, no, you don't have to pay for the records you find. I would, however, make a print-out of it, and even store it on your computer, too.

It's best to work backwards. Death, marriage, baptism, birth. Start with yourself, then go to your parents, then their parents, and so on and so forth. Try to leave no stone unturned. Organize the source, analyze it — primary (was present for the event), secondary (got the information from someone else). Not everyone who helps fill out the death information knows the information first-hand. Census records can be tricky, too. Depending on how long the census-taker had to complete the task, it wasn't uncommon to ask children, or even neighbors for information on the family that wasn't home at the time of their visit. :O Shocking, I know. So, that is usually classified as a secondary source. Regard it more as a 'hint'. Also, look at the neighbors. People tend to move together and if you run into a roadblock (brick wall) sometimes perusing the neighbors for names you've seen with your relative before, can give you a clue to where your ancestor went.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Excellent advice!

Thank you. I try. :)

I've been researching my family tree for over 60years. My brick wall is a widow and two sons in York. ME in 1744. Her husband may have been Nathaniel, as that is the name of their oldest son and his son. This follows a Scots-Irish naming pattern. By DNA, I am Scots-Irish. I have extensively researched in New England (MA & ME), Scotland and Ireland. I am the Co-Administrator of the House of Gordon DNA Project. I look forward to hearing from fellow Gordons and other Scots-0Irish and Scots. On my mother's side, I'm pure Irish, albeit from Armagh in N, Ireland,

Cheers, Jim Gordon

Hi, I'm Holly Hansen, president of Family History Expos. We sponsor events all over the United States where genealogists and family historians come together to meet professionals, national speakers, top exhibits, and each other. We have a great time and look forward to meeting each of you at an upcoming event sometime soon! Check out our full list of events for 2011 online at http://FamilyHistoryExpos.com.

I love research, teaching, and sharing with everyone who is looking for new discoveries too.

Have a great day!

I have a brick wall that I have had over 30 years. According to my Aunt who had the family bible William C. Baldwin was born29 Jan 1817. He married Margaret Caroline Pickens 6 Feb. 1842 in Fayette County, Tennessee. In checking the census records of Fayette Co, Tennessee, William C. Baldwin was born in Tennessee. His wife, Mississippi. I learn that Margaret Pickens is the daughter of Robert B. Pickens and Nancy Flint. Robert marries as his second wife Hespibeth. They are listed next to my William C. Baldwin and wife, Margaret in 1850 Fayette Co, Tenn.  I later learn they are also listed in the 1850 Independance County, Arkansas and William has been listed as been born in Alabama. His next door neighbor there is his wife's brother. No Baldwins around. In 1860, He is listed in Van Buren County, Ark born in Alabama. In 1870. he is in White County, Arkansas, also listed as being born in Alabama. So, three census has Alabama, one has Tenn. I am thinking the one in Tennessee his in-laws that that information, as he was already in Arkansas. I have papers where his youngest daughter, Josephine goes to Court 18 Feb. 1879 to claim her father's land. The mortality records says he died in Dec. 1879. I will believe the court records. One of his sons death record lists him as Carroll Baldwin, so I am sure it is William Carroll Baldwin. Because he was never surrounded by Baldwins, I have never been able to locate siblings or parents. I have checked church records but they don't have them for that time period. Alabama does not have census records until 1830 by that time there is so many Baldwins it is hard to weed them out. I am not sure what to do

Karen,

I feel like I'm in good company. We know these people existed because we wouldn't be here otherwise. I have managed to find one person who could be related to me if my George D Perkins was the son of Berry Wright Perkins. George had two sisters and one Sarah Perkins married a Thomas Andrew Nash. William Perkins Nash (a decendant) wrote a book called Eighteen Generations of Ancestors of William Perkins Nash. He is deceased but I managed (with help) to find a nephew. Dead end...  The book is on micro film at Salt Lake City and I ordered it. It is almost impossible to read and the best way to make a copy is by camera. Trying to get a good picture to read is very hard indeed! I'm off to our local Family Center to try again.

Anybody out there a Nash? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get decent pictures from micro film?

Am keeping my fingers crossed for you

Judy 

Judy:
I am glad you got that far. Hopefully you will find more.

I live in the UK .   I have always wanted to research my ancestry, and this is where I am so grateful for the Internet.  Without it and the people I have met through it, I don't think I would have got anywhere, let alone as to where I am now.  I have traced back 24 generations of one branch of my family.

I have also had family lore to go on, however although there was a kernel of truth in it, it was very misplaced.

I have been researching since 2006 and I don't think I'll be shaking off this addiction anytime soon.

I look forward to exchanging info with everyone here.  

It is a wonderful tool, the internet. Yes, Genealogy is addictive. But a word of caution. Some people will put anything down to fill in the blanks of their family tree. I have ran into people who have parents birthdates sixty years after their children were born. I had seen people who have children being born to a mother who was 60 years old.

Today, with technology, it is possible, but, back then women fifty or older usually died having children. Most of them went through the change of life in their 40's because of all the hard work.

With you living in the UK, it would be hard to find real documents to verify if what you found on the internet is accurate. Especially that tree you traced back 24 generations. I hope you meet some wonderful people that can help you. hope you never get tired of genealogy. It's a great hobby.

I have been doing family history research for about 25 years.  Right now I am working on my one American line which goes back through Iowa, Wisconsin and New York to New England with a branch into Ohio and Maryland.  Most of my ancestors immigrated from Ireland directly to Upper Canada/Canada West/Ontario.  I find Irish research very frustrating.  I also have a Welsh great grandfather from Brecon, Wales.

My offspring are profoundly disinterested in genealogy.  Perhaps it was too many visits to cemeteries in their childhood. My husband is still willing to go on family history expeditions with me.

Lois Sparling

Calgary, Alberta

Genealogy is indeed addictive - but integrity must be maintained at all costs! Resist that temptation to fill in the blanks.

RSS

Members

Badge

Loading…

© 2021   Created by Nat Ins for Genealogical Studies.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service