Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Additional info is located in the genealogy wise group Jessamine County Kentucky. Grave site of Benjamin James House and Martha Jane Stinnett. Jessamine Co., Ky

Views: 4260

Replies to This Discussion

Grand daughter of Mathais House Jr.
Barbara Ann House was born February 1, 1830 in Garrard Co., KY, died at the home of her son Mike Pence Jan. 12, 1913, age 82 years, 11 months, 11 days. When a young girl she moved with her parents to Illinois, at the age of 19 she became the wife of Honorias Powell Pence, he preceeded her in death in 1867. To this union were born seven children, four being dead, 2 in infancy, Earl when a young man, and Mrs. Mary McGhee who died four years ago. Three living children are Mrs. Alice Snell, Millard and Mike Pence all of Davis County. She was again married, to George Aldridge in 1871, who died in the year 1876. One child was born to this union who died in infancy. Her father and mothers names were Michael and Mary House. She leaves 3 children who were at her bedside when the death reaper came. She also leaves 13 grandchildren, 31 great grandchildren and friends by the score. She united with the Baptist Church at the age of 16, living throughout her long life a true Christian as ever one knew. She has always made her home with her son Mike where she never was wanting for care. The funeral took place Tuesday afternoon at Dunnville, preached by Rev. Overturf of Floris, her six grandsons acting as pallbearers. She was tenderly laid to rest in the Dunnville Cemetery. Relatives from afar were Jimmie McGhee, son-in-law, Mr. & Mrs. Jessie McGhee and Charlie McGhee, grandchildren all of Wayne Co.
Mother has been called to heaven, for there is no pain or sorrow there. Her many friends and loved ones will miss her vacant chair.
John House grandson of Mathais House Jr.
1880 Census Place: Brandy Springs, Garrard, Kentucky
Source: FHL Film 1254415 National Archives Film T9-0415 Page 569B
Relation Sex Marr Race Age Birthplace
John HOUSE Self M M W 42 KY
Occ: Farmer Fa: KY Mo: KY
Mattie HOUSE Wife F M W 22 KY
Occ: Keeps House Fa: KY Mo: KY
Ires HOUSE Dau F S W 14 KY
Occ: At Home Fa: KY Mo: KY
Jordan HOUSE Son M S W 11 KY
Occ: Farm Hand Fa: KY Mo: KY
Malcomb HOUSE Son M S W 3 KY
Fa: KY Mo: KY
Allen HOUSE Son M S W 5M KY
Fa: KY Mo: KY
Samuel HOUSE Brother M S W 45 KY
Occ: Farm Hand Fa: KY Mo: ---
Thomas House grandson of Mathais House Jr.

1880 Census Place: District 65, Stanford, Lincoln, Kentucky
Source: FHL Film 1254428 National Archives Film T9-0428 Page 151A
Relation Sex Marr Race Age Birthplace
Thomas HOUSE Self M M W 42 KY
Mary J. HOUSE Wife F M W 40 KY
Occ: Keeps House Fa: KY Mo: KY
Annie HOUSE Dau F S W 23 KY
Katy HOUSE Dau F S W 22 KY
Thomas HOUSE Son M S W 20 KY
Taylor HOUSE Son M S W 17 KY
James HOUSE Son M S W 13 KY
Robert HOUSE Son M S W 9 KY
Hattie T. HOUSE Dau F S W 9 KY
Michael House is the son of Mathais House Jr.

Deed Book page 464 Washington Co., Ky
This indenture made and entered into this 17th day of June 1854 between Michael House and Mary his wife of Lawrence and Sate of Illinois of the one part and James Blackaby of the County of Washington and state of Kentucky of the other part, Witnessenth that for and in consideration of the sum of twenty dollars to us in hand paid by the said James Blackaby the receipt where of we do hereby acknowledge leave granted bargained and sold and by these presents date grant bargain sell and convey unto the said James Blackaby a certain tract or parcel of land situate lying and being in the County of Washington on the waters of Taylor's Fork boundaries follows to wit Beginning at a stone on a line of the Blackaby tract and comes to peter Heickessam running thence South 3 3 poles to a stone on Henry Brown’s line thence with his line N 32 1/2 poles to a polar corner to Edmund Scott thence S 88 W 23 3/11 poles to the Beginning containing2 acres and twenty eight poles. To have and to hold said tract of land together with all the happenstances there unto belonging as in any wise appertaining there to only use and benefit of him and said James Blackaby, his heirs or assigns forever and we the said Michael House and wife do hereby warrant the tract of land conveyed. In Testimony the said Michael House and wife have set our hands and affixed our seal this day and year above.

House Wesley 47 Va. (Michael Wesley House)
House Mary Blackerby 43 Ky.
House Wesley 16 Ky.
House Thomas 13 Ky.
House Clementine 11 Ky.
House George W. 18 Ky.
House James 5 Ky.
House Lucy 9 Ky.

Lawrence, IL 1850 Federal Census

In 1860 Wesley House was in Davis Co., Iowa, his wife died and he returned to Lawrence Co., Ill and is found in the 1870 census. In 1880 he has returned to Davis Co., Iowa.

1870 federal census for Lawrence Co., Illinois shows Wesley House and his children living with John Fish, age 52, farmer, born in Ohio, and his wife Emily, age 43, and their children.
See Christy Township, Lawrence Co., Illinois, Page No. 31, Post Office Sumner, Dwelling No. 199
Thomas House is the son of Mathais House Jr.

Garrard Co. Ky 1839 Book n pg 197 Michael and Polly House deed their portion of the 246 acres of MHJr. to Thomas House.
Garrard Co. Ky 1847Book n pg 198 Samuel House deed their portion of the 246 acres of MHJr. to Thomas House.
Garrard Co. Ky 1848 Book Q pg 114 James Harvey and Polly House deed their portion of the 246 acres of MHJr. to Thomas House.

(12, pgs. 291-293) 3898 Thos HOUSE DC to Benj BLACKERBYs Hrs DEED Whereas, on the [blank] day of [blank] 1856 the undersigned Thos HOUSE and Benjamin BLACKERBY, now deceased, were the owners jointly and equally of what is known as the Dower land in the division of the Thomas HOUSE (Sr.) land and also at same time owned by conveyance from Susan HOUSE by Commissioner DISMUKES lot 4 of said division containing 16 acres and 28 poles and also owned by conveyance from James HOUSE, lot No 9 of said division containing 13 Y2 acres of land and whereas on the _ day of__ 18 __ the said undersigned Thos HOUSE and Benjamin BLACKERBY divided said land the said HOUSE taking said Lot No 4 and the north end of the Dower and whereas the said Thos HOUSE has not conveyed the tracts falling to said Benjamin BLACKERBY to him, now the premises considered and for the consideration of said division behveen said HOUSE & BLACKERBY We Thos HOUSE and Mary Jane HOUSE of Lincoln County Ky of the first part have sold thereby convey unto the heirs at law of Benj BLACKERBY said Benj BLACKERBY having died about 20 years ago and said heirs at law being the divisers under said Benj BLACKERBYs will, to wit (Martha Jane HOLTZCLAW, Lucinda DANIELS, Lucy SPOONAMORE, Nellie WATSON, Nannie STORIE, Addie STORIE, Minnie BLAND daughters of said Benjamin BLACKERBY, and Wm BLACKERBY his son and Elizabeth BLACKERBY the only child of ("J" or" Z"ack BLACKERBY dec a son of said Benjamin BLACKERBY)

and Kate WALTER the only child of Susan WALTER who was a daughter of said Benj BLACKERBY, the following real estate in Garrard County Kentucky being the one undivided one half of same, the said Benj BLACKERBY owning in fee simple the other undivided one halt tract; (1st tract) in Garrard County Ky on the water of Dix river and bounded as follows - Beginning at a stake, old Dower Corner and corner to lots No 7 and 9 in the division of the lands of Thos HOUSE decd thence with the division line of the Dower as made behveen Thos HOUSE Jr. & Benj BLACKERBY, N 19 W passing an Elm corner at 2.61 Y2 chains in all 13.37 chains to a point in the middle of a road corner now to James P. BONNER Hs and in line to lot No 2 Thos HOUSE division nor J P BLAND thence along said road S6l W passing the corner beween lots 2 & 1 at 23 lints, in all 1.98 chains to a stake on the south side of and near said road, comer to said No 1 now J. P. BLAND's comer to an ash stump comer Dix River comer to said BLAND and to Lot 19, thence leaving the river and with line of said No 9 N 72 E 23, 95 chains to the beginning containing 19 acres.
2nd Tract - being said Lot No 9 in said division of Thos HOUSE Sf. Lands as above mentioned which lies beween the above said tract and lot No.8 in the division of said Thos HOUSE Sr. Land and immediately south of Lot No. 7 of said division the same conveyed to said Thos HOUSE & Benj BLACKERBY by James HOUSE by deed of record in the office of Clerk of the Garrard County Court by deed date 20 March 1856 and recorded in book U page 37 and beginning at state in the line of the Dower & comer to lot No.7 and running S 68 W 95.8 poles to a Buckeye on the bank ofDix River thence up the same with the meanders _ S 95 E 12 S 54 E 22. N 57 E 88 to a stone comer to lots _ & _ 8 No. 20 Y2 W 14 poles to beginning containing 13 I/. acres __ To have and to hold said land undivided one half in __ wo __ tracts of land to the said heirs of said Benj BLACKERBY their heirs and offspring forever, and I Mary Jane HOUSE the wife of Thos HOUSE unite herein and release and relinquish my contingent right of dower, and I Thos HOUSE warrant the title only against such persons as may claim by Through or under me. Give under our hands this 8th day of Mar 1894 (signed) Thomas HOUSE, Mary Jane HOUSE (her mark), Att Annie B. WITHERS.
Garrard County Kentucky Book F 203-204 WILL
MATTHIAS HOUSE, Jr. 8 July 1824

In the name of God amen I MATTHIAS HOUSE, Jr. of the County of Garrard and State of Kentucky being sick and weak of body but of perfect mind and calling to mind the uncertainty of my continuance in this time world Do make and ordain this my last Will and testament in manner and form following.
Impremis I give and Bequeath to Beloved wife Susannah HOUSE all my estate both real and personal during her natural life or widowhood but other two thirds should be sold and the proceeds thereof equally divided among my eight children and my grandchild Elizabeth or Nancy SUDDEN [SUTTON] shall draw an equal share with my own children, her mother being dead.
Item. It is my wish for my children to cultivate the farm and to pay unto my wife one third of all grains, flax, hemp, etc. that shall be raised on said farm.
Item. It is my wish and desire that after the death of my wife that all my estate both real and personal shall be sold and the proceeds of the sale shall be equally divided among my surviving children and grandchild Elizabeth or Nancy SUDDEN but should any one or more of my children decease before my wife and leave legal heirs then in that case the legal heirs shall be entitled to draw the amount that their parents have been entitled.
Item. It is my wish and desire that all of my children that have been provided shall account for the value of what they have received and a general settlement so that each my receive an equal portion of the estate and should any of my unmarried children marry in my wife's life she shall make a just charge of the value of the property which account shall be a good voucher as the general settlement and that my grandchild Elizabeth or Nancy SUDDEN by entitled to a full portion with my own children.
Lastly, I do hereby nominate and appoint my loving wife Susannah HOUSE and my son Thomas HOUSE my executor of this my last will and testament in witness whereof I have set my hand and seal this 8th day of July 1824.
Matthias HOUSE (his mark) (Seal)
Attest: Thomas B. MADDUX, Absalom CALHOUN, Nathan LEISURE
Benjamin James House (grandson of Mathais House Jr.), was a lance corporal under Allen Burton in the civil war in co. K of the 20th Ky Volunteer Infantry.
After his brother John was killed in 1862 in a fight with Gen. John Hunt Morgan's crew at Lebanon, Ky, The unit surrendered and after some basic abuse by Morgan's men, they were paroled. The unit then marched through Danville to Camp Nelson. The troops were given time off to go home. Benjamin went home and got his Confederate sympathizing brother Samuel and they took their father's horse and spring wagon back to Lebanon for John's body which they brought home for burial on Kissin' Ridge. Benjamin, in 1864 was at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain.
Germanna Emigrants to Northern Kentucky - Boone County the Lutheran Church registery.

Alexander Aylor, s/o Lewis & Nancy (Creel), Boone, before 1840
wife: Eliza Aylor, d/o unknown
Benjamin Aylor, s/o Henry & Barbara (Carpenter), Boone, 1807
wife: Anna (Tanner), d/o Frederick & Mary (Rouse)
John C. Aylor, s/o Lewis & Nancy (Creel), Boone, before 1840
never married
Michael Aylor, s/o Henry & Barbara (Carpenter), Boone, 1811
wife: Sarah (Vaughan), d/o Mordecai & Eve (Baumgartner)
William Carpenter, Rev., s/o of Wm. & Mary (Wilhoit), Boone, 1813
wife: Mary (Aylor), d/o Henry & Barbara (Carpenter)
Adam Clore, s/o Peter & Barbara (Yager), Kenton, 1797
wife: Margaret (Crisler)
Jacob Crigler, s/o Aaron & Catherine (Crisler), Boone, 1830's
wife: (2) Ellen (Tanner), d/o Frederick & Mary (Rouse)
Nicholas Crigler, s/o Aaron & Catherine (Crisler), Boone, unknown
wife: Sally (Fray), d/o Ephraim & Mary (Hoffman)
Adam Crisler, s/o Theobald & Rosina (Garr), Boone, unknown
wife: Elizabeth (Crigler) d/o Nicholas & Margaret (Kaifer)
David Crisler, s/o Theobald & Rosina (Garr), Boone, unknown
wife: Elizabeth (Wayland) d/o unknown
Leonard Crisler, s/o Theobald & Rosina (Garr), Boone, unknown
wife: Margaret (Clore) d/o John & Dorothea (Kaifer)
Ambrose Hoffman, s/o Henry & Elizabeth (Blankenbaker), Hamilton, 1810
wife: Christina (Hoffman) d/o Nicholas & Elizabeth
Elias Hoffman, s/o Nicholas & Elizabeth ( ), Kenton, 1806
wife: Hannah (Hoffman), d/o Henry & Elizabeth (Blankenbaker),
Henry Ricus Hoffman, s/o Nicholas & Elizabeth ( ), Hamilton, 1830
wife: Mary (Good), buried Wayne Township, Butler Co., OH
Robert Hoffman, s/o Nicholas, Hamilton, 1806
wife: Barbara ( ), buried Springfield Township, OH
Solomon Hoffman, s/o Jacob & Barbara (Souther), Boone, 1806
wife: Elizabeth (Tanner), d/o Fred. & Mary (Rouse), bur. Boone Co.
Zachariah Hoffman, s/o Frederick & Catherine ( ), Kenton, 1816
wife: Catherine ( )
Jacob House, s/o Mathias & Mary Marg. ( ), Boone, 1806
wife: Susannah (Tanner), d/o of Christopher & ( )
Josiah House, s/o Michael & Susanna (Zimmerman), Boone, 1806
wife: Fannie (Zimmerman), d/o Frederick
Daniel Rouse, s/o Michael & Mary (Swindle) Rouse, Kenton, 1820
wife: Jane McClary Scales, d/o Wm. & Cynthia (Scales)
George Rouse, s/o Mathias, Boone, 1806
wife: Elizabeth (Zimmerman), d/o Christopher III & Mary (Tanner)
Jacob Rouse, s/o Mathias, Boone, 1806
wife: Anna (Weaver), d/o John & Barbara (Kaifer)
Michael Rouse, s/o Mathias, Boone, 1806
Samuel Rouse, s/o Mathias, Boone, 1806
wife: Mary M. (Weaver), d/o John & Barbara (Kaifer)
John Stonesipher, s/o of ( ), Kenton, 1806
wife: Mary (Hoffman), d/o Nicholas & Elizabeth
Michael Souther, s/o ???, Boone, year unknown,
wife: ???? Fisher
John Swindle, son of Timothy & Rebecca (Crees), Boone, 1806
wife: Hannah (Weaver), d/o of Peter & Elizabeth ( )
Ephraim Tanner, s/o Frederick & Mary (Rouse), Boone, 1806
wife: Susannah (House), d/o Matthew & Mary Margaret
Frederick Tanner, s/o Christopher, Boone, 1810
wife: Mary (Rouse), d/o of Mathias
Elizabeth (Utz), d/o John George Crisler & Anna Smith, Boone, 1810?
husb: John E. Utz, dec'd, s/o George Jr & Margaretta (Weaver)?
Ephraim Utz, s/o unknown, Boone, by 1825
wife: Christine (Blankenbeker), d/o unknown
note: my info says all his children were in Boone by 1825. I
don't know for a fact that he himself lived there.
Herman Wayman, s/o of George & Catherine (Young), Kenton, 1795
wife: Elizabeth (Clore), d/o Peter & Barbara (Yager)
William Wilhoit, s/o Michael & Elizabeth (Crisler), Boone, 1800
wife: Anna Clore, d/o John & Dorothea (Kaifer)
Jonas Yager, s/o of Joshua, Kenton, 1815
wife: Sarah McKinsey
Christopher Zimmerman, s/o John & Ursula (Blankenbaker), Boone, 1810
wife: Mary (Tanner), d/o Christopher
Boone County, Ky. History

When Boone County was officially established in 1799 (having been created by the Kentucky Legislature in 1798), less than two hundred men owned all of the land in the County and the population of the County was approximately 1500. On June 17, 1799 the first county court, held at the William Cave home in North Bend Bottoms, decided to locate the county seat on a seventy-four acre si te donated by Robert Johnson and John Hawkins Craig in the north-central part of the county. The town, originally known as Craig's Camp, was initially named Wilmington and, at the request of the Post Office, renamed Burlington in 1816. In January of 1801, the Boone County Court Order Book notes that "... Court [was] held for the County of Boone at the Courthouse . . ." after having met for over a year at homes in and around the county seat. According to early reports, this Courthouse was a log building and was used for sixteen years until a large brick structure, facing Jefferson Street, was completed in 1817. After being remodeled several times, this courthouse was demolished and, in 1889, Boone County built its third courthouse, still in use today.
Many pioneers arriving during this first period of settlement migrated from Virginia. Many were of northern German ancestry and came from the Germanna communities in Culpepper and Madison counties of Virginia. Eleven people from that part of Virginia arrived in Boone County in November 1805 under the leadership of Ephraim Tanner. The following year, they organized the Hopeful Lutheran Church in the east-central part of the county. Other families came after them and settled in Florence and Hebron (named after Hebron, Virginia), eventually establishing the Mt. Zion and Hebron Lutheran Churches. In the northern part of Boone County immigrants from southwestern Germany settled among the steeply wooded hillsides and fertile floodplains along the Ohio River where the landscape is very similar to the Rhine Valley in Germany.
Perhaps the first European to visit Boone County was a Frenchman who sailed down the Ohio River in 1729. He highlighted Boone County on his chart with an inscription in French that translates "where they found the bones of an elephant." Thus, Big Bone Lick became one of the wonders of the world. That Frenchman was followed a decade later by Captain Charles de Longueil who was credited with the first investigation of the Big Bone Lick area. His account of the huge bones of prehistoric mammals provided incentive for further exploration, and attracted the attention of the British and early American colonists. The salt deposits at Big Bone Lick had long been known to the American Indians and, in 1755, Mary Draper Ingles, the first recorded Euro-American woman to visit this region, escaped from her Shawnee and French captors while they were boiling water from the lick to make salt.

France claimed the Ohio Valley until the end of the French and Indian War. A veteran of that war, Captain Thomas Bullitt, led surveyors to this territory in 1773 when it was a part of Fincastle County, Virginia. In 1789, over a decade after the first settlement in central Kentucky, John Tanner, a Baptist preacher from North Carolina, established Tanner's Station, now known as Petersburg, along the Ohio River. Tanner's Station was the first formal settlement in what would shortly become Boone County. The community's name was changed to Petersburg in 1814. Soon other pioneers occupied tracts of land above and below Tanner's Station. Many came from central Kentucky, from what is now Woodford and Scott counties, and in 1794 seven people founded the Bullittsburg Baptist Church in the North Bend Bottoms area up river from Tanner's Station. Bullittsburg Baptist Church is the longest continuously active church in the county, still holding worship services in their 1819 sanctuary.

Within a few years, other settlers came to this area from central Kentucky, perhaps with some knowledge that a new county would soon be formed. In c. 1797 Cave Johnson arrived and made his home along the Ohio River in North Bend Bottoms. Johnson built an impressive brick home (still in existence and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988), became Boone County's first County Clerk in 1799, and spent time visiting his friend, and future President, William Henry Harrison who lived across the river.
Other early settlers such as Captain Jacob Piatt and Captain John Brown, both of whom were Revolutionary War veterans from New Jersey, received or bought land grants given for service during the war for independence. Relative to its population in the years preceding the Civil War, Boone County had a fairly large slave population. In 1800, the Boone County population consisted of 1194 whites, 325 slaves and 15 free blacks. Local families generally owned less than ten slaves and master and slave often worked side by side on Boone County farms. Although poor treatment of slaves as well as the obvious burden of enforced servitude is a documented fact, some slaves in Boone County appear to have been considered trusted members of the family. Skilled black workers crafted many historic homes, barns and outbuildings in Boone County.

Boone County participated in the horrors of the Civil War. Although Kentucky was officially neutral, men from the county served on both sides of the conflict. During the War there were two brief skirmishes in Boone County, one at Florence in 1862 and one at Snow's Pond near Walton in 1863. Also in 1863, the famous Confederate General John Hunt Morgan came through Boone County after his escape from a Columbus, Ohio prison. Generally speaking, after the War, men who had fought against each other for five years returned home and once again became neighbors, fellow church members, and friends.

As was the case in many communities throughout the country, the women of Boone County kept families and farmsteads together during the long years of the Civil War. The women took on added responsibilities and dealt with the loss, crippling, and poor health of husbands, fathers, brothers and sons returning from the War. Some widows or spinsters, such as Julia Dinsmore, successfully operated large farms. Miss Julia, as she was known, inherited her farm, with its 1842 home, numerous outbuildings, and family cemetery, from her father, James Dinsmore. The farm was home to five generations of the Dinsmore family before becoming a non-profit museum in 1988. Fully and originally furnished and well preserved, the Dinsmore Homestead is an excellent example of upper middle class life in nineteenth century Boone County.
History of the Lutheran Churches in Boone County, Kentucky
by Rev. H. Max Lentz written in 1902

The publication of this book was made possible by the cooperation of members of the Rouse, Barlow, Crigler, Floyd, Graves, and Tanner families, among others.

The first Lutheran Church in Boone County was probably the result of a trip by Rev. William Carpenter of Madison, Virginia, who made a trip to Kentucky in 1804. Rev. Lentz, claiming to have the journal of Rev. Carpenter before him, says the trip cost Rev. Carpenter eighteen pounds. Rev. Carpenter did not record the purposes of his trip, but it is known that, in the following year, a large contingent of people left Madison for Kentucky. The group was said to consist of George Rouse, Elizabeth Rouse, John House, Milly House, Frederick Zimmerman, Rose Zimmerman, Ephraim Tanner, Susanna Tanner, John Rouse, Nancy Rouse, and Elizabeth Hoffman. They are said to have arrived on November 25, 1805, having come by wagon through the Cumberland Gap, but proof of this is not available.

At this time, Burlington, the county seat of Boone County consisted of a few log houses, a log court house, and log jail. The town of Florence did not exist at this date. Across the Ohio River, Cincinnati consisted of two brick houses and two frame houses. Some of the early information was drawn from the discourse, "A History of the Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Hopeful Church, Boone Co, Ky.", dated January 6, 1854.

Within the year of the migration to Kentucky, the families resolved to hold worship services. Without a pastor, they had prayers, hymns, and then a sermon read by Ephraim Tanner. These services were held regularly until October of 1813, conducted in the German language. The Kentucky members had sought advice from Rev. Carpenter in Virginia, who sent them a copy of a Constitution, and advised them to organize a church. Rev. Lentz said that he had this Constitution in his hands as he wrote. It was translated from the German as:

We, the undersigned, living in Boone County, State of Kentucky, members of the Evangelical Lutheran and Evangelical Reformed Church, unite in the following articles of agreement for our government ­

We will unite in the establishment of public worship in our midst, according to the Protestant faith, and by God?s help we will constantly uphold it.

We will unite in the erection of a small house, which shall be regarded as a union house of worship, in which we will unitedly worship God."

One of us, for whom it is most convenient, shall give an acre of ground upon which said house shall be built. And this acre of ground, with all that shall be built thereon, or that pertains to it, shall forever belong to this united congregation and their successors; so that he who gives it shall not have the power to sell to any other person.

To prevent discord and offenses, no one shall be permitted to conduct public worship in the house owned by us, unless he is a regular Lutheran or Reformed minister.

We will assemble ourselves every Sabbath or as often as circumstances will permit, and by reading a sermon and with singing and prayer we will strengthen one another when we have no pastor.

We will unite in inviting a worthy minister, at least once a year, or oftener if possible, to preach the Word of God to us, according to the foundation of the prophets and apostles, and administer the holy sacraments, for which we will reward him according to our ability.

It shall be the duty of each one belonging to this congregation to lead an orderly, Christian and virtuous life; to abstain from all gross sins, such as cursing, swearing, card-playing, drunkenness, and all such ungodly actions.

Should any one be guilty of any of the above sins, which may God in his mercy prevent, than the remaining brethren shall have the power and it shall be their duty to deal with him according to the directions of our Savior: Matt. xviii 15-17.
The above articles shall remain unchanged until all the members, or at least a majority of them, shall deem it necessary to alter or amend them.

Adopted this 6th day of January 1806.
George Rouse Ephraim Tanner
John Rouse John House
Fred. Zimmerman Michael Rouse
John Beemon Jacob Rouse
Daniel Beemon Simeon Tanner

For eight years, the pioneers in Boone Co., Kentucky, who came from Madison County, Virginia, were without a pastor. Still, they held services regularly with Ephraim Tanner taking a leading role. He was joined by many members of his family, both brothers and sisters. In turn, Ephraim Tanner and his wife Susanna House had fourteen children, so the genes of the Tanner family course through many citizens of Boone Co.

It is said that Rev. Carpenter came from Virginia twice to hold services. In October 1813, he moved to Boone Co., and became the regular pastor at the church. Perhaps it is fiction, perhaps it is true, but these are some of the stories about Rev. Carpenter.

He was quiet and dignified but with a pleasant word for everyone. By his appearance, he stood out with his knee britches and gold buckles. He was very kind to the poor and would help them. Once, upon catching a neighbor stealing corn from his crib, he told the thief, "You would surely not come here unless you needed it. Now fill your sack. When you need corn again, come and ask me for it, and do not try to steal it."

Once, when asked if he had corn for sale, he asked if the person had money to buy it. When the man said that he did have the money, the Rev. said he didn't have any corn for sale. "Plenty of my neighbors have corn for sale, but I need mine for the poor people who have no money."

Just before he died, he burned $300.00 worth of notes for corn. He lived until 1833, when he was 70 years of age.
We have no photographs of him, but we do have one of his eldest son, Jeremiah Carpenter.

The first communion by Rev. Carpenter in his adopted church was held on Whitsunday, in 1814. A list of the participants persists. It includes:

Christoph Zimmerman, ux. Maria,
Daniel Beemon,
George Rausch, ux. Elizabeth,
John Rausch, ux. Nancy,
Friederich Tanner,
Jemima Tanner,
John Beemon ux. Peggy,
John Hauss, ux Milley,
Joshua Beemon,
Friederich Zimmerman, ux. Rosina,
Layanna Christler,
Aaron Tanner,
Benjamin Aylor, ux. Anna,
Jacob Hauss, ux. Susanna,
Rosina Rausch,
Nancy Christler,
Susanna Barlow,
Elizabeth Hofman,
Jacob Rausch, ux. Anna,
Amey Rausch,
Molly Rausch,
Peggy Hauss,
William Carpenter, ux. Polly.
(Summa 35)

(ux.=uxor Latin for "Wife"

At the Congregational Meeting, held 6 January 1815, a new and larger constitution was proposed and adopted. Provision was made to elect three deacons every three years. The first elected were Daniel Beemon, George Rouse, and Ephraim Tanner. At the end of that time, Ephraim Tanner was reelected, and Jacob Holsclau and Ephraim Utz were elected to serve with him. At the next election, in 1821, Jacob Rouse and John House were elected to serve with Ephraim Tanner.

Apparently this Second Constitution was written in German also, since the Deacons were called "Vorsteher".

Within a couple of years after Rev. Carpenter went to Hopeful Church, a new constitution was adopted. It, too, was written in German. It was more detailed and showed stronger Lutheran sympathies than the former constitution, which had the flavor of a union church with the Reformed. The constitution was explicit about the duties of the pastor and the deacons, and it said some things very plainly about the duties of the members, to wit:

He must model his life according to the Christian ordinances and, if he deviates therefrom, he must be cheerfully corrected. Everyone must contribute according to his means as God has blessed him, whether it be much or little, for the maintaining and carrying forward of God's work in the congregation. Through the mercy of God, we should avoid all gross sins and vices, such as cursing and swearing, lying and cheating, carnal sins, fornication and adultery, drunkenness, immoral plays, gambling, obscenity, horse-racing, as also hatred, enmity, strife against neighbors, and all other sins and vices, forbidden in the word of God and offensive to a true Christian...

In 1823, the congregation took up the question of a new church. Father Carpenter spoke upon this subject, and became so deeply affected that he gave vent to his feelings, burst into tears, and said:

"Alle bauen gute Haeuser and lassen Gott in der Hütte wohnen!" [All build good houses and let God live in the hut.]

The effect upon the members was so strong that they resolved to build a new church. So in the summer of 1823, a log church was built, 25 ft. by 25 ft. with an end galley, and a high pulpit. [The old church survived until at least 1900, when it was used as a barn.]

The constitution of 1815 was signed as follows:

William Carpenter, Daniel Beemon, George Rouse,Ephraim Tanner,Christopher Zimmerman Frederick Tanner, Jacob Rouse, Benjamin Aylor, John House, John Rouse, John Beemon, Aaron Tanner, Simeon Tanner, Michael Rouse, Jeremiah Carpenter, William Rouse, Sr., Abraham Rouse, John Crisler,David Crisler, Jonathan Carpenter, Jeremiah Rouse, Elisha Rouse

This constitution was written in German, which sufficed until the 1846 translation by Noah Surface. The services were conducted exclusively in the German language until 1824, when Father Carpenter began to use English half of the time in preaching. Within a short time English was used altogether. Apparently Carpenter was willing to use English even earlier, but the conservatism was very strong and Carpenter was careful not force matters and bring about trouble.

Abraham Beemon was the first recorded baptism. Besides the members from Virginia, a number of people of the neighborhood were converted to the Lutheran faith. Sometimes entire families were baptized at one time.

On the 10th of July, 1832, Father Carpenter wrote to Rev. Jacob Crigler of Berlin, Pa., in which he said:

"I have now been preaching the blessed gospel for a space of forty-five years, this last spring. I was about twenty-five when I began, and am now a little upwards of three score and ten; and according to the course of nature and my feelings, I cannot possibly hold out much longer. We may indeed expect the ordinary blessings of divine Providence, but cannot expect miracles. I have often had heavy thoughts about my little congregation here in the wilderness."

Rev. Carpenter urged Rev. Jacob Crigler to come and take charge of the congregation. Writing of a communion service, he wrote:

"On Whitsuntide we had the sacraments in our church, and I had the pleasure of seeing our old father-in-law, your two brothers and their wives at the communion table, but too many of the members stood back that I could have wished to have seen there. There were only twenty-one communicants, and a few years back I had as many as sixty-two."

Less than a year later, on 18 Feb., 1833, Father Carpenter went to his reward. As recorded in the Hebron Baptismal Register in Virginia, Wilhelm Zimmermann had been born 25 Mar 1762. Thus, he was just shy of his 71nd birthday.

The church was without a pastor for about fourteen months, but the Rev. Jacob Crigler came in April of 1834. He was the son of Aaron and Catherine Crigler, and had been born in Virginia, 15 Jan. 1778. Father Crigler was first married to Lydia Utz, on her eighteenth birthday, 15 Jan 1799. She died, leaving two children, and Jacob married Nellie Tanner in 1808. They had twelve children.

Jacob Crigler had been pastor in Berlin, PA, for a number of years. He was active in denominational affairs, both in Pennsylvania and in Kentucky. Two brothers of Father Crigler, Lewis and Nicholas, had moved to Boone County before Jacob did. After Jacob came, two other brothers, Joel and Jonas, came also. With Jacob and Nellie's twelve children, and the siblings of both Jacob and Nellie, their families left a mark on Boone County.

Father Crigler held his first communion in the fall of 1834, when sixty-nine communicants came, including twelve people who were confirmed. The record of this was made in English, for the first time, and, at the annual meeting on 6 Jan. 1835, the minutes were first recorded in English; however, it was stated that the discipline was read in German.

The Kentucky synod was organized at Louisville in 1835, with Jacob Crigler elected as the first President. He is said to the author of the slogan, "Union, Concentration of Effort, and Decisive Action".

THE ORGANIZATION OF HOPEFUL CHURCH

CHAPTER II

As soon as the brethren had erected their cabins, they resolved, though destitute of a good pastor, to hold religious meetings in private families. The first meeting was held at George Rouse's at the close of 1805, or at the beginning of 1806. The meetings were conducted in the following manner; After a suitable hymn, one of the brethren offered prayer, after which Ephraim Tanner read a sermon selected from Rev. Shubert's sermons. After the sermon, the exercises were conducted with prayer and singing. These exercises were conducted in the German language and kept up regularly, unless providentially prevented, every Sabbath for nearly eight years, or until October, 1813

The old church in Madison County, Virginia was composed of both Lutheran and Reformed members, and it was the custom at that time for the Lutheran and Reformed members to worship in the same church. Indeed, there was so little difference between them in some places, that it is an old story that the only way you could tell them apart was by the Lutherans saying, "I ater unser" and the Reformed, "Unser I ater.

When Ephraim Tanner wrote to Father Carpenter for advice, he sent them a constitution and advised them to organize a church, which they did, January 6, 1806. We have the old German constitution with it's signatures of the fathers before us, yellow and worn with age, we handle it tenderly, for it is a document of precious value. Rev. II in his discourse translates it entire and we give his excellent translation

"We the undersigned, living in Boone County, State of Kentucky, members of the Evangelical Lutheran and Evangelical Reformed Church unite in the following articles of agreement for our government...

1. We will unite in the establishment of public worship in our midst according to the Protestant faith, and by God's help we will continually uphold it

We will unite in the erection of a small house, which shall be regarded at a union house of worship, in which we will unitedly worship God.

3. One of us, for which it is most convenient, shall give an acre of ground upon which said house shall be built and this acre of ground with all that shall be built thereon, or that pertains to it, shall forever belong to this united congregation and their successors; so that he who gives it shall not have the power to sell it to any other person

4. To prevent discord and offenses, no one shall be permitted to conduct public worship in the house owned by us unless he is a regular Lutheran or Reformed minister

5. We will assembly ourselves every Sabbath or as often as circumstances will permit, and by reading a sermon and with singing and prayer, we will strengthen one another when we have no pastor

6. We will unite in inviting a worthy minister, at least once a year, or oftener if possible, to preach the word of God to us, according to the foundation of the Prophets and Apostles, and administer the Holy sacraments; for which we will reward him according to our ability

7. It shall be the duty of each one belonging to the congregation to lead an orderly, Christian and virtuous life; to abstain from all gross sins, such as cursing, swearing, card playing, drunkenness and all such ungodly action

8. Should anyone be guilty of any of the above sins, which may God in his mercy prevent, then the remaining brethren shall have the power and it shall be their duty to deal with him according to the directions of our Savior, Matt. XVIII -15-17

The above articles shall remain unchanged until all the members, or at least a majority of them, shall deem it necessary to alter or amend them. Adopted on the 6th. day of January, 1806
George Rouse Ephraim Tanner John Rouse John House
Fred Zimmerman Michael Rouse John Beemon Jacob Rouse
Daniel Beemon Simeon Tanner

Five of these brethren came in 1805, five came later. George Rouse gave an acre of land on which to build a church, and accordingly in 1807, they built a cabin church. It was a cabin church in reality, built of unhewn logs. The roof and door were made of clapboards; the floor with puncheons, and the seats were made of saplings. An opening was made at each end by sawing out some logs for windows. They were always open, that is, without sash or lights. They had neither stove nor fireplace in it, and yet they met for worship during the winter. Such were some of the inconveniences and privations of our fathers and mothers

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Harbaugh's Historical Discourse - Pg. 6-7 The Tanner family has had a large place in the Pioneer development of the church and Ephraim Tanner and his descendants have wielded the larger part of that great influence. His wife, Mrs. Susannah Tanner was born in Madison County. Virginia, November 20, 1784, and died in Boone County, Kentucky, in December 12, 1870. She was among the early settlers of this county, coming here with her husband, Ephraim Tanner, in 1805. The world owes a great deal of gratitude to the sturdy pioneers of those early days who by great sacrifices and labor prepared the way for better things in our time. Mother Tanner was a woman of character and influence in her own day and her influence continues to increase as the years move along. She was the mother of fourteen children. They became a large and growing influence in the community and their descendants today are numbered by scores, while by marriage they are related to practically everybody in the vicinity. The quiet, pious, industrious character of the parents has descended to the generations following and Mother Tanner's character may be held dear for long years to come while all about us are beheld the influences she helped to put in motion

Joel Tanner is past ninety-four years of age and while he is unable to travel far he is still active about home and is in good health for one of his years. He was for long years an active member at the Hopeful Church, but some time he has been unable to get to church, but he has never lost his interest in the church and he remains true to his profession of faith. Ephraim is ten years younger, but he is fully as feeble as his elder brother. He was also very active in the church until recent years.

Moses Tanner was the most recent of the brothers to pass away. He died January 2, 1895, when more than seventy six years old, and left a precious memory as he was noted for a sincere Christian man. Simeon, another brother, died April 1, 1891, aged 85 years, 4 months and 3 days. He left a large family, most of whom are active members in one or another of the Boone County churches. He had been an active and faithful member for years and was a leader in prayer and song, when near death's door he had his sons sing and his pastor pray with him. His widow under a burden of years and heavy affliction survived him a few years and kept her faith from amid all the trials of suffering and infirmity.
Hopeful Lutheran This is the oldest Lutheran Church west of the Allegheny Mts. established in 1805. The first colonists came from Hebron Lutheran Church in Madison Co., Va. Many members of this parish were from the HOUSE and TANNER families. The first church building was log and built on land given by George Rouse.

Stansifer-Utz Cemetery Highway 42 Union, Boone County, Kentucky

A. E. Stansifer 04-18-1827 09-09-1879
Abraham Stansifer 05-19-1788 11-03-1866 Born in Madison Co. Virginia Died in Boone Co. Ky
J. Milton Stansifer 10-16-1834 10-09-1878
Mary Stansifer 09-07-1798 03-06-1878
Robert Trimble Stansifer 08-07-1889 09-16-1860
Abram L. Utz 01-21-1859 21y07m26d Son of John & Emily E.
Utz Emily E. Utz 07-10-1880 65y01m--d Wife of John
Utz Julia Utz
Mary E. Utz 10-01-1858 06-17-1872 Daughter of Owen C. & Julia Utz
Owen C. Utz

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service