Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Okay, so I must admit that I do not use any genealogy software right now. I once had Family Tree Maker around 2004 but when my computer crashed and I lost all of the data (thankfully I had backed up everything with paper due to me being very paranoid) I just couldn't find the time to retype everything. It just sounded like such a pain in the butt.

So, because of this, genealogy software is one of those areas of genealogy I am quite uninformed about. Many of you are experts and some are novices or somewhere in between. If you have used genealogy software I want to hear from you. What are your experiences? What is the best software to use for genealogy and why? What is the easiest software to use? Prices compared to quality? Etc. I am thinking about purchasing some genealogy software to be able to print out reports again, etc., but want to be a well informed consumer before doing so.

Thank you all in advance. I look forward to reading your responses.

Views: 626

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was using Family Tree Maker (which i LOVED) up until I changed operating systems on my PC. Now, I'm using GRAMPS (linux/ubuntu) which works just as good. I've tried Legacy (which is free, BUT you get what you pay for), but I hated it!

The only thing I don't like about Family Tree Maker (FTM) is that the only way you can upload it to the internet is if you have a paid subscription to ancestry.com.
I refuse to be tied to any one program so keep all my data in GEDCOM format. In this way I can use all of it in any program I care to pick. I happen to use Ancestry because my data is stored on the web for free, and there is no restriction on the amount or format. To store the data locally on my computer, I use Ancestry Image Downloader (www.ancestryimagedownloader.com), which stores the tree and its images in the GEDCOM format. It is a simple system, it works, and I do not have to invest in software upgrades annually.

Clive

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service