Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

I am beginning to research my father's families in Dallas & Autuaga counties, AL. The surnames I'm researching are Lanier, Callines/Callins/Callen, Smith and possibly Parker. According to oral family stories, my Callins family has ancestors who originated in Haiti and East Africa. I've enjoyed interesting family stories and memories over the years of unique incidents and professions of family members, my grandmother Lucy and her mother Lucy stand out in my mind. If anyone is researching these Alabama family surnames, please post a message here as I would like to contact all potential family members as possible. Thank you in advance,

Family Griot

Views: 2850

Replies to This Discussion

Well, really I can't imagine approaching it any other way. I was raised that blood is blood and family is family and we all belong to Christ. I love having new family members, regardless of their appearance. Some are white, some are black, some are redheaded, I'm overweight,... gotta love em all!
Praise God!

Emiko
Researching Silas MOORE b. 1851-2 in Alabama. By 1874 Silas was in Putnam or Jasper County, GA. He married Ella BURNEY from Putnam County about 1874 and by 1880 they lived in Jasper County. He died between 1910-1920 Jasper County, Ga and no record of death was filed.

There are a few possibilities that are close matches in the AL 1870 Census:
1. Silas Moore age 19, Perry County, AL...
....Millie, 20, Winnie, 10, Emma, 08 and Wesley 21
2. Silas Moore, age 24, Dallas County, AL
.....is living in the household of Ellick REESE w/wife and children and a lady and her baby surnamed CHESTNUT.

The 3rd Silas Moore Silas Moore was the son of Cupid and Whinny of Jefferson County (former slaves of John B. Moore>James B. Moore). He is ruled out because he is still in Jefferson County and married in 1880.

A descendant of one of the slave owners I was interested seen my post on the Yahoo group MOORE-SOUTH and offered to see what he could find on him but never got back to me. I'm assuming he never made any discoveries, but I will check into that to be sure.
I am helping a friend trace her African-American family and her ggrandparents are listed in Huntsville,AL Freedmen's Bank Records 1870 as working on the Berrill Lanier Plantation. Thus began my quest into the Berrill Lanier Plantation. I found nothing under that spelling, however did eventually find census and land transfers under Burwell C. Lanier to and from William H. Lanier & Isaac A. Lanier. If anyone has anymore information on these people or the plantation, it would be of great help to us in our quest for her ggrandparents in those times. I saw the names here and thought perhaps these were the same people or at least connected in some way.
Hi Lisa! The good thing about google is that you can use it as an initial point of research when looking up people like the Lanier's. There are a couple of people who have put the white Lanier family trees on the internet, their descendants. The Lanier's came to Autauga Co. AL from North Carolina. Also, there are several spellings of the name Burwell. The variations that I have come across are Berwell, Burl, Burwell, Burwel, Burrel, Burel and Berwel.
I've also found someone in my tree on their DC who's father is listed as having come from Madison Co. (Huntsville), AL This female married the AA Burwell Lanier. I did a little reading on the history of AL and specifically Madison county, AL and it was the first county of Alabama and an area with quite a bit of commerce during early western U.S. expansion. There may have been lots of slave trading that went on there because of this fact. I hope that helps in your research.
thank you family griot, I've been googling and googling!! I have found some information on most everyone I've hunted for. But am still trying to find the connecting threads, sometimes it's sure hard! And mostly all I've had to work with is oral history (bits and pieces) she's been told over the years or has heard from other family members. Alot of it just doesn't seem to fit together and yet the connection is there somewhere! I think!......I have found LOTS of Huntsville information. Any ideas on or experience with trying to establish a connection between two people that you only have names for really?
For instance I have a Horace McCray in Detroit,MI who married an Addie Evans in 1925 both born AL the index shows his father is listed as Blunt, mother Lizzie Pryor. I did find a Blunt/ Blount in AL but married to a Mary (between 1867-1870), this is the couple I mentioned above that I found in Freedmen's Bank records working on Berrill Lanier Plantation. I have no definite connection between Horace & Blunt as yet other than the marriage index/transcription. Horace is in Detroit in 1918 on his WW1 draft card (married to a Lydia McCray who was in Houston,TX.) he's born 1872, have followed him thru directories there til 1928, then the 1930 census with Flora and children. Nothing after that as yet. Have been told he died after the depression, Flora died 1973. I just can't seem to make this connection, I don't know if it's me, my unfamiliarity with African American research or what......... but it's frustrating as I generally don't have this problem in my own family research.
Any suggestions? Perhaps you are much better at this than I appear to be!!
Who are you looking for specifically that came out of the Burwell Lanier Plantation? That would mean at one time they were in Autauga County, AL or possibly Dallas County, AL Have you tried the 1866 Alabama Census? You can find that here Also try the 1870 census to locate this person. See if the specific individual may have gone by the surname Lanier at one point. I can tell you that there are a lot of Lanier's in Autauga due to the white Lanier's plantations. I also have very reliable sources who were raised in the area and know a lot about the families there. Also if Lizzie Pryor was the mother and Blunt was the father, they may have not been married. That brings an entire set of other issues. But in the mean time happy hunting. keep me updated on how it goes.
Are you sure they couldn't have been on a Lanier plantation in Madison County? seems quite a few acres were transferred between Burwell and William & Isaac in Madison co. Just wondering, the plantation or at least the Freedmens Bank record is from Huntsville.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Madison Co., AL Dist.#36 Federal Census Page 1 of 3

This Census was transcribed by Geraldine Olson KING and proofread by
Claudy L. KING for the USGenWeb Census Project, http://www.usgenweb.org/census.

Copyright (C)1999 by Geraldine Olson KING
CENSUS YR: 1850 STATE or TERRITORY: AL COUNTY: Madison Co #36 DIVISION: District #36 REEL NO: M432-9 PAGE NO: 443A
REFERENCE: enumerated by C D Kavanaugh on November 9, 1850
=========================================================================================================================
LN HN FN LAST NAME FIRST NAME AGE SEX RACE OCCUP. VAL. BIRTHPLACE MRD. SCH. R/W DDB
=========================================================================================================================
33 190 190 Lanier Mary S 49 F Tennessee

34 190 190 Lanier Isaac A 33 M Farmer Tennessee

35 190 190 Lanier William H 31 M Farmer Tennessee

36 190 190 Lanier Burrile C 29 M Tennessee
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
or:
Thanks to S-K Publications for providing the census page photocopies from
which this transcription was made. The complete original, handwritten
census of this county is available in book form (including a typed index)
from S-K Publications, PO Box 8173, Wichita KS 67208
(www.skpub.com/genie/census.html).
Pg# Ln# Last Name First Name Age Birth Place File Name

443A 36 Lanier Burrile C 29 Tennessee pg0432a.txt

443A 30 Lanier Darby 65 N Carolina pg0432a.txt

443A 34 Lanier Isaac A 33 Tennessee pg0432a.txt

474A 5 Lanier Lucy Ann 37 Tennessee pg0471a.txt

474A 6 Lanier Mary A D 14 Alabama pg0471a.txt

443A 33 Lanier Mary S 49 Tennessee pg0432a.txt

443A 35 Lanier William H 31 Tennessee pg0432a.txt
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://files.usgwarchives.net/al/madison/land/blm/madison-l-o.txt" target="_blank">http://files.usgwarchives.net/al/madison/land/blm...
Attachments:
Here's the land transactions
Attachments:
Am still looking for info on Mary & Blunt/Blount Mccray (and other variations), she was on the Burrile/Burell/Burwell Lanier Plantation in Huntsville 1870+ for sure. W have now located the wills of this couple and I am awaiting copies. I was also told that Mary may show up in transfer of property (deed) or maybe will from Mary C. Lanier who owned about 49 slaves in Huntsville in 1850 to her son Burell upon her death. Is there anyone out there who's related to Mary C. Lanier or Isaac Alexander, William, or Burwell/Berrell that has already gotten this information? Would you be willing to share it? At the moment we cannot afford the research service to have them search and the archives has said this might be what we need to locate Mary. Blount worked for the RailRoad thee from approx. 1866 until his death, he died as a result of a rr accident. We recently got their obituaries too. Any help much appreciated or if anyone has any other ideas for research, please let me know, Lisa
Hi Griot,
Update, not much to report unfortunately! Haven't made any more progress on this line yet. I keep hoping.....
My grandfather born about 1955 was son of Dr. Isaac Dickson Lanier, he was not a slave owner but the nephew and decendant of:

Burwell Lanier
Isaac Lanier
William Dickson Lanier
Isaac Dickson Lanier
William Henry Lanier
Emilio A. Lanier
Emiko L. Lanier

As I am told that William Henry Lanier was the first son of Isaac Dickson Lanier who had child by the slave nurse that was given to him after starting the education as a doctor. William Henry was named after Isaac Dickson's uncle. Please let me know what genealogy Lisa A Spegal's friend has on the African-American family from Huntsville, AL.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service