Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

I am looking for all or any info on the chief from Pa who lived in Milesburg named The Eagles Nest just off of the Susquhanna River. The part of tribe that he was a part of was the Munsee tribe part of the Wolf Tribe.  The chief was also know as the Munsee Chief.  I am willing to give out any info that I get to anyone who wants it.

Thanks,

Eric

Views: 3408

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Eric,

Thanks for getting back to me. I live in western Pa and would love to meet your historian in December also, if it would be possible. Please send me your email address to bkellner@kellfire.com and I will send you links to my Young Family Ancestry trees that have my 20+ years of research on.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Bob Kellner

Ok i am beginning to get this togather in my head better. The one I keep finding is a Lakota one, but I am looking for Lenape I think. That is where I got confused! Every time I looked for a Bald Eagle I only found a Lakota chief. Im not sure about the iraqoi part because iraquoi is usually down here in the south where I am, linked to the southern tribes one big one being the Cherokee. Lenape is the tribe that my family speaks of on a regular basis. They also mention Delaware alot I think. My problem is way back a long time ago my family hid their indian status because I come from a big military background. Being indian was as bad as being an african. They began to not record their history and background, but of course kept speaking of it through word of mouth. There is a Man named Jim Holy Eagle, he is passed away now, but he was my grandmothers cousin and she knew him. He somehow links us to our past, but the only one i find is the one from the Lakota indians. Perhaps i am looking for a lakota cheif and not Lenape. But I know that the family i come from has lenape. Let me make it clear that I have blood from several tribes in these veins of mine. The biggest is Cherokee, who I am also told I am decended from a indian princess, but who I dont know, because the only one who knew was my great great grandmother ( a full cherokee)  and she is obviously passed away. The others are lenape and sasquahana. I am unsure of Lakota which is why the Jim Holy Eagle part confuses me. So I am actually on a hunt for answers about both sides of my family. I have a feeling if I ever get any breakthroughs that there will be some interesting things. Down here we have the Dawes act that forced just about every southern tribe into reservations and for a price I can access the Dawes Rolls that list everyone who has ever enrolled in the Dawes act, to find the original indian names that were replaced by "white people" names. Perhaps i should find a historian also. 

Ok, talked to my grandmother. She said that he was the Delawares, but then confused me by saying that the Delawares/Lenapes eventually merged into the Lakota tribe However true or false that bit of information may be, she mentioned a book that is called "The History of Williamsburg"  or something like that. She said that the chief is mentioned in that book. I am not from pennsylvania, so I have no access to it, other than finding it on Amazon (which i have not tried to do yet). 

The Delawares were associated with the Iroquois, not Lakota (Sioux, which lived in the Dakotas). You can try and get books on inter-library loan (unless you wanted to purchase your own.)  A few titles are: THE LENAPES by Robert S. Grumet, THE DELAWARE INDIAN WESTWARD MIGRATION by C.A. Weslager, THE DELAWARE INDIANS: A HISTORY, by C.A. Weslager, KING OF THE DELAWARES: TEEDYUSCUNG, 1700-1763, by Anthony F. C. Wallace, OKLAHOMA DELAWARE CEREMONIES, FEASTS AND DANCES, by Frank G. Speck, and BLACKCOATS AMONG THE DELAWARE: DAVID ZEISBERGER ON .THE OHIO FRONTIER, by Earl P. Olmstead. None of these mentioned Bald Eagle in their indexes. But check out the bibliographies for more references.

Geeze thanks. Although I think you must be reading what I say way too fast. you are mis understanding. But its ok.

in Pa chief double head was in snow shoe and milesburg.  his daughtr is princess corn flower. she married into the algonkin tribe so her father would have a bigger army so to say.  when her husband got killed she then married a scottish man.  i believe his last name was troxxel.  this was all before the trail of tears. now if you look this up i believe she settled in tennessee.  there are monuments and stories if you google her

Renee Waring here. Descended from Robert Beers and Barbury Young. Barbury's father thought to be Peter Young brother of William Young of Clearfield County, Pa. Found a lone grave of Elizabeth Young in Clearfield buried on top of a small mountain, by herself, entombed in stone just like the NA's did. Beautiful spot under the tall ancient pines.

The Dawes roll are only good if you had Cherokee ancestry. The Cherokee were not native of PA, they were a southern tribe.

Yes I know that. I mentioned that I am from Texas, and have Cherokee in me as well.  I said that I have two sides of my background that I am trying to find.North and South- Cherokee, Susquehanna and Lenape. Maybe you did not see that. We have the Dawes Roll here in Dallas. I only asked if their was anything similar in the north, and actually there is. The tribes were eventually put onto reservations, with documentation of their names. 

However, this is a publication of the rejected applications that also give family information.  Sometimes all you need is a matching name and date.

The Info that I have found is that there were 2 Bald Eagles one from the lenape tribe and one from another maybe sasquahana people. 

Also some more info I found out was that there is a cave in West Virginia that has a room named after the Bald Eagle Chief.  But the problem was that it was Iroquois  The interesting thing is I read that the Iroquois like to take prisioners of people that they defeated.  Other info states that they saw a lenape chief with a group of Iroquois doing a raid.  It was believed that, that chief was Bald Eagle.  Who knows how true that is but, its out there. If you have info for or against this or anything else please write back on here.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service